Close
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you're agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more

Skiing & Snowboarding (general)

Skiing & Snowboarding (general)

For everything and anything to do with skiing and snowboarding. Whether you're a seasoned expert or just starting out, this is the place for you.

• Gemma Hopwood
    Gemma Hopwood
    Posted: 10 Oct 2018 11:27

My daughter has chosen to do skiing as one of her individual sports for PE GCSE (AQA).  She has to submit video evidence which covers:

Basic turning – turning both ways using parallel or carved.Stopping/parallel stop/skid to halt – stopping to the left and right.Linked turns over distance – whole indoor snow zone run or outdoor run including narrow and wide turns at different angles.Traversing in both directions – different speeds/angles.Skiing at speed – slalom through gates/round poles or moguls or tight turns.

This can be done at an indoor snow centre but she has been advised that it is difficult to score as well as the slopes are not that challenging. I'm looking to see if t is possible to do when we are skiing in France. 

Is anyone aware of any instructors / ski schools in La Plagne, Les Arcs or Tignes that do assessments to support AQA'a PE GCSE requirements for skiing? She has just started the course but has been told that she needs to submit several pieces of video evidence over the two years to demonstrate progression etc. 

Many thanks!

• Andy Laurie
    Andy Laurie
    Posted: 10 Oct 2018 19:40

The short answer is no, but it might be worth contacting Phil Smith at Snoworks in Tignes, and he might well be able to help or suggest someone.  It might be something that would be relatively easy to do on the glacier in Tignes before the main season starts. i.e. In October or November, or even early December.

You can find them on the internet.

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 10 Oct 2018 21:12

Gemma Hopwood: Firstly, I know nothing on the educational side.

Next, I would firercely question the dismissal of indoor snow slopes. It is a UK exam and if the examiners cannot be satisfied with UK facilities  then it is stupid to be offering a qualification.

I can say that I have seen all the above manoeuvres completed in the Manchester Chill Factore by people taking lessons. MK and Castleford are similar. The slope angles I would have thought to be ideal for teaching and video recording at this level. A fair speed can be reached and I have seen the British Team training there.

If I choose to do so I can  go down fast enough to risk admonition by the supervisors.

So that is my strop out of the way. 

More positively, wherever you choose to demonstrate and film, someone will need to set it up and give consent for the piece of piste or slope to be used. Setting a course for a slalom is a skill in itself. 

I would approach

a) your local Ski Club who may well have a race team and the expertise required to help set a course, as well as Instructors.

b ) your nearest artificial or indoor snow slope who may have the same expertise and perhaps would have  others wanting the same service from their instructors.They would probably have to treat it as a commercial venture whereas Local Club help for a Member would likely be free.

It is quite likely that satisfaction in performing the tasks will not be achieved all in one day or even one week and I can forsee a lot of video editing to get prime runs in all disciplines. A friendly UK instructor who would asses the filmed runs and advise on the technical merit of each would be invaluable in getting the best material finally sent in. 

And a good camera operator will be important, too. 

In all this I am drawing on my experiences in Merseyside and Manchester where, without having exactly this exam dealt with, I know the local Club Members would have pulled out the stops to make it all happen.

Having myself often been videoed in coaching sessions I know that the qualified eye sees what is necessary to be technically correct and the video perpetuates the mistakes. Definitely worth getting skilled instruction, as is clearly your intention but I would think it best to do at least the majority in the UK and perhaps a bit of mogul from holiday if you desire.

Could be a mistake to spoil a holiday with worry about performing well for exam purposes.

You might like to contact my friends at Skivo2.co.uk who run some special Performance Weeks in their catered chalets in Courchevel and have BASI instructors who are just brilliant .

They also instruct as part of their normal holiday weeks , 2 hrs per day, and might be able to incorporate your video requirements as this is part of their teaching. 

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 14 Oct 2018 11:33
    In fact, in conversation at Chill Factore this week I learned that they had run just such a course during this Summer. Don't know any details but it sounded encouraging.

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 17 Oct 2018 20:35
    Also, click on the facebook sign at the bottom of this site, click on Groups and then select Brenta Dolomites and you will see a very relevant posting from Wayne Naylos on this very topic.