Close
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you're agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more

Skiing & Snowboarding (general)

Skiing & Snowboarding (general)

For everything and anything to do with skiing and snowboarding. Whether you're a seasoned expert or just starting out, this is the place for you.
  • 1 like
    1 like
    John Bourne
    John Bourne
    Posted: 17 Dec 2016 18:31

Report from Klosters. First the bad news - there is no resort level snow, but the good news is that there is plenty of piste skiing. We've had two days sunshine, temperature below zero and well managed pistes. Yesterday we skied from the top of Jakobshorn at 2590m down to Davos at 1540m. One resort run is open and one closed. nearly all the regular pisted area is open. Today on the Parsenn most pistes are open down to mid-station. The resort run is not open but is complete and people are skiing it. The Schiferbahn is open, all 5.5 kms of it but the piste is hard at the bottom where it doesn't see any sun. They've had no snow this month but they have done a super job of managing what came a month ago plus what they've made with the cannons.

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 18 Dec 2016 21:14
    John Bourne:Great news, John. If I see you 7th/14th it's worth a beer !

• Bruce Robinson
    Bruce Robinson
    Posted: 19 Dec 2016 21:24
    Don't stay at the SunStar hotel ***  - got food poisoning there years ago.
  • 1 like
    1 like
    John Bourne
    John Bourne
    Posted: 21 Dec 2016 10:27

I stayed in the Sunstar Albeina Klosters ****, in Klosters Dorf, as I have done many times before. It is a very good hotel and they looked after us very well. Maybe Bruce Robinson stayed in the *** Sunstar Family Hotel in Davos.

I can thoroughly recommend the Klosters Sunstar, especially using Ski Club discount. 

• Andy Laurie
    Andy Laurie
    Posted: 21 Dec 2016 10:46
    Edited: 21 Dec 2016 10:47

I have stayed 3 times at the Sunstar Davos and enjoyed it thoroughly each time.  Maybe 4 times in fact.

• 2 likes
    2 likes
    Lisa Curran
    Lisa Curran
    Posted: 21 Dec 2016 19:42
    Edited: 15 Feb 2019 00:00

It's possible to stay in the best hotel in the world and 'get food poisoning' - and it's not a confirmed source without microbiological evidence. Long day at work, a bit grumpy. 

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 21 Dec 2016 21:20

Hope the "like" makes you feel better, Lisa.

We have done a week there for each of the last 12 years and have only the highest praise for food, service and ambience.

I just wish it was in Klosters Platz !.

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 30 Dec 2016 17:32
    John Bourne:Could do with a first-hand snow update, John. Are you still out there ?.

• John Bourne
    John Bourne
    Posted: 31 Dec 2016 10:14

Charles PritchardSorry Charles, back in dull old Shropshire since 20th Dec. Going back out to Klosters on 30th Jan for 10 days where I suspect we'll be meeting up with Lisa Curren (and Lorraine Dodd), they'll be the leaders while we're there. A group of us from all over the UK, mostly seniors, meet up annually in Klosters between the World Economic Forum and half term, but I suspect you'll have been and gone by then. Regards to Jim Noad, Alan Russell, Tommy Grass, Bartli Gruober et al.  

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 01 Jan 2017 23:03
    John Bourne:  Lovely people, John. Hope you enjoyed your week and I am ever hopeful of an imminent dump for our group.

• James Noad
    James Noad
    Posted: 02 Jan 2017 20:02

Five of us will be in Klosters skiing with Tommy Grass (Absolute Powder). Skins in rucksacks just to give Tommy more options. Looks like the forecast is trending towards a bit of snow. It's our 11th year with the Absolute Powder group of guides and they have always managed to keep us amused!

Charles no doubt we will see each other in resort. Regards to John Bourne.

• Lisa Curran
    Lisa Curran
    Posted: 02 Jan 2017 20:08
    It looks like snow is on the way! I'm going to be in Klosters this weekend - I'll mainly be route planning etc but Charles, if you let me know where you are staying, maybe we can ski together for a bit. Happy Skiing everyone.

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 03 Jan 2017 11:08

Lisa, my group is at Sunstar Albeina in Dorf , arriving Saturday. Would love to meet up, even ski !.   07 969 863 505. Are you in Hotel Sport ?

I leave tomorrow as I have a couple of days in Verbier with Alan Macgregor to brush the rust off. I could get the early train on Saturday and go direct to Klosters  Platz for 11.59 which would allow some afternoon skiing and give me a real buzz. Could be at the top of Gotchna at 1.00 or, more centrally, Parsennhutte at 1.30 or the restaurant at Weissfluhjoch at 2.00, fed and watered and ready to go.

Do let me know if that might be able to fit into your programme.

I  will take that train anyway.    many thanks for the thought. 

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 03 Jan 2017 11:24
    Lisa Curran: Small revision....if that meet-up doesn't work for you can you let me know and I would take the later train. Thanks, Charles.

• Lisa Curran
    Lisa Curran
    Posted: 03 Jan 2017 17:09

Hi Charles. I can do 1400 at the restaurant at Weissfluhjoch. I've got your number now and I'll text on friday evening to confirm. Have a great couple of days in Verbier, look forward to meeting you on Saturday. Lisa 

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 03 Jan 2017 17:21
    Lisa Curran: Excellent and thanks Lisa.  Charles.
  • 1 like
    1 like
    James Noad
    James Noad
    Posted: 05 Jan 2017 17:31
    Thommi Grass (local farmer and guide) tells me 40cm of snow fell overnight (Wed/Thurs).
  • 2 likes
    2 likes
    Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 09 Jan 2017 21:08
    Had just the greatest day today in light powder all the way to Kublis off piste then the same at back of Madrisa. Lisa came with us and seemed very happy. Ok, we could use more depth but today was sublime.

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 12 Jan 2017 16:42
    With the Guides you wouldn't know there was a snow problem. Today a bit windblown up top but stil soft down to Schiffer. Yestrrday canadian powder at Pischa. Wolfgang good offpiste and the track. Great week.

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 13 Jan 2017 17:16
    Signing off with the good news that about a foot has fallen today. 2 runs in blizzard at Jakobshorn:still blizzard at Joch. Arctic xpedition back to Klosters finished in high speed powder down Schwartzeealp for a yahoo end to week.