Close
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you're agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more

Ski Club Freshtracks

Ski Club Freshtracks

If you're already booked onto a Freshtracks holiday this season, or you're looking for advice on which holiday to go on then post your question here.
  • 1 like
    1 like
    Helen O'brien
    Helen O'brien
    Posted: 17 Dec 2016 09:15

We have been hit by a MW surcharge of £50 pp, apparently for currency changes. Is this also going to run through to Freshtracks holidays in MW chalets?

• Richard Peterson
    Richard Peterson
    Posted: 17 Dec 2016 10:32
    I am going to St Anton mid January staying with Mark Warner but booked through Snoworks. I have just been advised by Snoworks that there will be a £50 surcharge, so I would imagine that the same will apply for Mark Warner accommodation booked through Freshtracks.
  • 1 like
    1 like
    Helen O'brien
    Helen O'brien
    Posted: 17 Dec 2016 11:33
    There is no thumbs down 🙈

• Janet Nettleship
    Janet Nettleship
    Posted: 17 Dec 2016 15:20
    Edited: 17 Dec 2016 17:04
    Interesting. I've been considering booking a Freshtracks holiday that uses a Mark Warner chalet hotel, but had wondered if Mark Warner could apply the surcharge. Perhaps someone from the Freshtracks team could clarify.

• Janet Nettleship
    Janet Nettleship
    Posted: 17 Dec 2016 21:35
    Lisa Curran: I'm not sure of the relevance of a story from summer 2015.
  • 2 likes
    2 likes
    Helen O'brien
    Helen O'brien
    Posted: 17 Dec 2016 22:26
    Yes- but they should not have offered a discount 6 weeks ago and negated half of it by putting the price up after we had booked. The pound had already fallen and discounts should have been reduced if the headline price was unsustainable.
  • 1 like
    1 like
    Michael Hobin
    Michael Hobin
    Posted: 19 Dec 2016 13:25
    Discounts do indeed sell holidays, but late-in-the-day surcharging on the spurious grounds of Brexit-related exchange rate fluctuation (once the customer had committed) cannot be right and alienates past, present and future clients. For the record, the sterling / euro exchange rate was even less favourable at the time of my previous MW holiday in Val D, with no such nonsense. I'm not affected personally, but I have empathy for those that are.

• Helen O'brien
    Helen O'brien
    Posted: 20 Dec 2016 22:27
    Lisa Curran: no-one skiing on a MW holiday is on a tight budget!  Just annoying that they had over 4 months to adjust prices/ discounts after Brexit currency crash and before we booked.
  • 1 like
    1 like
    Helen O'brien
    Helen O'brien
    Posted: 20 Dec 2016 22:53
    Ha! We have not booked Freshtracks this year as we are holidaying with other groups - but I just found the brochure and realise that they seem to have ditched the MW chalets anyway! Most of the Tignes holidays seem to have moved to the Lodge in Val D'Isere 😳
  • 1 like
    1 like
    Helen O'brien
    Helen O'brien
    Posted: 20 Dec 2016 22:57

Further research : In July Freshtracks guaranteed not to increase prices. Well done.

• Janet Nettleship
    Janet Nettleship
    Posted: 21 Dec 2016 12:39
    There are several Freshtracks holidays using Mark Warner to resorts including Courmayeur and Les Deux Alpes. I'm reluctant to consider booking one until I get a clear answer from Freshtacks.
  • 1 like
    1 like
    Kevin Stephens
    Kevin Stephens
    Posted: 21 Dec 2016 18:15
    Our surcharge was £100 for two for a two week holiday - £25 each per week.  very small beer compared to the SCGB discount we got when booking the holiday.  I'm not too bothered.   MW have been very good value (not the same as cheap) in the past and I'd rather see them stay around helped by the surcharge then go bust for next year.  I don't think the exchange rate problems are spurious at all.  A lot of MW € costs would have been agreed pre Brexit.
  • 1 like
    1 like
    Janet Nettleship
    Janet Nettleship
    Posted: 21 Dec 2016 22:53
    Kevin Stephens: but the costs won't have changed since people booked in the last couple of months. There seems little excuse in that case for MW offering discounts then applying a surcharge.

• Helen O'brien
    Helen O'brien
    Posted: 21 Dec 2016 23:22

Kevin Stephens: ours is £50pp for 1 week at the very end of Jan. Booked in November!

Freshtracks guarantee is on the website so they will have to absorb the extra cost ?! 

• 1 like
    1 like
    Tim O'brien
    Tim O'brien
    Posted: 26 Jan 2017 16:17
    Edited: 26 Jan 2017 16:19

Weighing in late in the day (we are off to MW in Val D'Isere at the weekend).  Everyone agrees that the amount is small compared with the cost of the holidays.  But there remain concerns. 

1.  In my case the surcharge was tagged on to the bottom of 7 page "holiday confirmation and itinerary" issued in December.  I could easily have checked the holiday details and not noticed that there was a supplementary invoice attached.  And contrary to noises made earlier by MW I did not get any kind of warning.

2. The charges made seem to be arbitrary (viz: same charge of a one week and a two week holiday) and unrelated to the cost increases incurred. Even if MW chose to absorb some of the cost impact (possible) they are under the terms of their contract and ABTA conditions required to provide an explanation for the surcharge, which they patently did not. 

3.  MW were incompetent or deliberately misleading when they posted holiday prices on their web site that they knew at the time (November, when we booked) were going to be subject to surcharges.  In fact when I received the supplementary bill the website was STILL showing the pre-surcharge price!

So notwithstanding the relatively small amount involved, this is still not a good way to run a business.  It will probably not stop us booking with them again because generally their facilities are pretty good, but MW have lost goodwill.  In response to the suggestion that the surcharge at least kept them in business and our holidays on the road, it is only the latter that counts; otherwise we might be having a whip-round whenever a supplier makes a bad business decision.  We would not want that, would we?