Close
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you're agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more

Equipment

Equipment

Give us your reviews and ask your questions on ski and snowboard equipment - there's nothing better than first hand knowledge!

• Allan Callow
    Allan Callow
    Posted: 16 Feb 2019 17:55
    i am a intermediate red piste skier mainly, when I look at the websites for ski hire and see the levels of hire , are the top of range skis for more advanced  or just latest models and will suit me! Many thanks Calla

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 16 Feb 2019 20:56

Hi Allan, I would say go for the intermediate or lower range.

I don't think you would get any extra benefit from top range.

Tell them your standard. you probably don't need tight radius slalom skis . Probably GS radius and not too stiff. A good shop will fit you out well.

• Allan Callow
    Allan Callow
    Posted: 17 Feb 2019 09:05
    Thank you Charles, I have thought that’s how it works bit like golf clubs the top of the range gear your average guy could not use . If you pre order from a shop you never really know if your getting the grade you ordered anyway , a good fitter is the key
  • 1 like
    1 like
    Paul Crisp
    Paul Crisp
    Posted: 18 Feb 2019 18:24

TBH the ski grading is pretty useless as a guide to anything other than how much they will charge. The more expensive are likely to be newer or more expensive to buy but there's next to no other logic to it.

I only pre-order if I can specify the make and model of ski and even then the odds of getting that ski are about 50/50. The shop will nearly always try to talk you into

1. the model they have the most of
    2. a slalom or GS ski (don't know why)

If you think of it as the same process as car hire you won't go far wrong

• Paul Crisp
    Paul Crisp
    Posted: 26 Mar 2019 15:24
    Edited: 27 Mar 2019 14:12

just a rider to my last comment. Didn't pre-order but I did find that Intersport in Iscgl had:

• a pretty good range of skis
    • very competent and efficient service
    • provided Rossi Soul 7 and a Dynastar equivalent all-mountain ski just like that and without trying to talk me into GS - despite the lack of snowfall in the previous 10 days