Close
This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you're agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more

Equipment

Equipment

Give us your reviews and ask your questions on ski and snowboard equipment - there's nothing better than first hand knowledge!

• Lindsay Buchan
    Lindsay Buchan
    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 14:46
    It seems I'm alone in this but I only wear goggles if I have to and by that I mean because the weather is atrocious! In any sort of nice weather I'm not going to wear goggles I'm going to be wearing my sunnies! I don't therefore understand why there are so many goggles sold with lenses that filter out glare / cut down on UV etc. yet it seems quite difficult to find goggles specifically aimed at poor light conditions. If you look at a lot of websites they don't even tell you what any specific pair of goggles are good for, sunny conditions or poor light conditions. This seems pretty bizarre given that some of these goggles are really expensive and you're not going to know whether they work until you try them buy which time it's too late to take them back. Photochromic ones seem to get a vote of confidence but since I have no intention of ever wearing goggles when it's sunny what's the point of the expense? So what colour / type of lens do people generally find works in poor / flat light?
  • 1 like
    1 like
    Andrew Poodle
    Andrew Poodle
    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 14:51
    Generally poor-light lenses are lighter tint, and more of the yellow/orange/pinkish variety.

As to which colour works best for you, it really comes down to personal preference and experience.

• Lindsay Buchan
    Lindsay Buchan
    Posted: 03 Dec 2018 14:56
    Thanks Andrew, it's just extraordinary that goggles seem to be sold as fashion accessories rather than something that fulfills a useful purpose, so many of the equipment websites make little or no mention of what the different colours and coatings are for.

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 03 Dec 2018 21:02

Lindsay Buchan:  as a punter like yourself I agree. I think most of us know nothing on this topic. Personally I go to my goggles when the light is poor (or it's snowing or raining which is usually poor light also ) and so I want the least amount of tint. I favour yellow as it seems to lift the viz. Pink can be ok too.

I don't like grey as its miserable. And I don't like coatings lest they scratch.

Cbeck iut also the width of lens.....wide ones help with peripheral vision. I think mine are about 7 inches . I have Oakleys about £100. Lenses can be replaced if scratched via internet.

Agree about preferring glassez most part. And if you were to venture onto a sunny high glacier you would buy some special glasses with side covers but thst's more exotic than befalls most of us.

• John Dixon
    John Dixon
    Posted: 03 Dec 2018 22:44
    Lindsay Buchan:   They are sold to go on top of a helmet.

• John Bourne
    John Bourne
    Posted: 04 Dec 2018 13:04

These look as if they should do -  

https://awe365.com/review-of-julbo-universe-ski-goggles-with-photochromic-lens/ 

and I spotted them somewhere for just over £100. They are reviewed on the PlanetSKI website which seems to have plenty of useful info and up to date news, which is seriously lacking on this site.     

• Elliot Rose
    Elliot Rose
    Posted: 04 Dec 2018 17:24
    Quite a good guide to what the different coloured lenses do here:

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/info-and-advice/kit-and-equipment/goggles

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 05 Dec 2018 10:32
    Edited: 05 Dec 2018 10:33

Elliot Rose: thanks Elliot. Rather opened my eyes (so to speak ) on the range of info within our site.

Final choice is always complicated by price and model changes by manufacturers...eg the excellennt article on Julbo ...that model not now listed on their site.

Still , we have made progress. Thanks.

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 05 Dec 2018 10:43
    John Dixon posted:
    That's a good point. Always try them whilst wearing helmet. I guess all modern ones are made with securing bands of a diameter to suit helmets  but I have an older pair in which I had to cut the band and insert some other fabric to increase the diameter.

• David Taylor
    David Taylor
    Posted: 05 Dec 2018 18:59

I got a pair of Jolbo photochromic goggles (red lens) 2 years ago and they are really good for all conditions. 

https://www.julbo.com/en_gb/goggles

• John Dixon
    John Dixon
    Posted: 05 Dec 2018 19:46
    Charles Pritchard posted:
    John Dixon posted:
    That's a good point. Always try them whilst wearing helmet. I guess all modern ones are made with securing bands of a diameter to suit helmets  but I have an older pair in which I had to cut the band and insert some other fabric to increase the diameter.

It was a bad point ,I was being fascetious.

Lindsay queried their true functionality ; answer , a huge number are sold purely as decoration for a helmet.

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 06 Dec 2018 15:55
    John Dixon: Ah , too deep for me.

• Mike Steele
    Mike Steele
    Posted: 11 Dec 2018 17:16
    It is important to make sure that there is no gap between the top of the goggles and the helmet, otherwise you will get a very cold forehead. Whatever you do, don't rub the inside of lenses with anti-fogging coatings (eg Oakley) with anything damp, as the coating will go cloudy and the lens will be ruined, The same applies if you get snow inside the goggles. Let them dry naturally.

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 11 Dec 2018 20:57

Mike Steele: Mmm on both counts.....but then I am always awkward.

I reckon the warm/moist air enclosed by the glasses (from sweat) needs to get out and will best do so at the top. So no snug fit for me. Also I don't like the helmet to touch the goggles as it tends to push them forward onto my nose which restricts breathing. So I have cut back the helmet front bottom edge (and peak) to give a clearance. You may say it's the wrong combination but who can shop for perfection in style, colour, availability and cost.

And if you get snow in the goggles and are under pressure to catch the group, well you wipe it on whatever you have handy.....usually a hankie and hang the consequences. 

I am lucky as I don't think I sweat a lot. My ski buddy does and he just cannot find goggles which keep a clear view without internally misting up. 

I think to some degree one has to just grin and bear it. That's why I prefer glasses as much as possible.

• David Horgan
    David Horgan
    Posted: 19 Dec 2018 01:31

Imho you should first start by defining what you want your goggles for e.g. flat light, (Cat 2 lens) all round conditions (cat 3 lens) , or bright sunlight ski conditions (cat 4 or 5 lens). 

Then do you want them for over a helmet?

Does the lens size and curvature fit your face well? 

Uva/Uvb and /or polarised? 

Colour /finish for best vis?

Other characteristics e.g. double lens, ventilation,  flexibility,  colour & brand. 

For me,  I like my goggles for flat light skiing mostly, over my helmet and I've a big head. (can't you tell?!  ;)).  So I ski with Alpina goggles with Cat 2,  rose, polarised, lenses which are excellent in flat light conditions,  they are double lensed, well ventilated and flexible/ shatterproof. 

They're probably not the coolest goggles in the bar but they're the best for me on the mountain and that's my priority. 

• Peter Holt
    Peter Holt
    Posted: 23 Dec 2018 07:41

It is fundamentally impossible to create a passive optical system (one comprising of "materials", rather than a camera and a screen with a computer in between) which increases contrast on a single colour scene.

What is possible, with a multi colour scene, is to make some colours stand out. For example, for a pilot, green lenses can make white buildings (surrounded by forest) more visible (this is from vague memory; I fly with neutral sunglasses for many other reasons).

But snow is all one colour (different shades of grey), so any claims of improved contrast have to be nonsense (or placebo).

I have this problem too; with a cloudy sky of a uniform texture it is very hard to see where the surface lies, and bumps can get you with a nasty surprise. 

It seems worst first thing in the morning, with a totally ovecast sky, before the sun is high enough. Yet this is the best time to ski - before the slopes fill up with kids and other well known people "holding conferences" in the middle of the slope :)

Personally I stopped using goggles because I could not get ones I liked for fit, and I ski with prescription sunglasses (distance, with reading inserts at the very bottom) made up of a £70 Julbo sunglass frame with the leather bits on the side which are pretty good at keeping cold air out, and these work even in light snow. It is a really good solution.

Someone told me that orange lenses are better and I was considering getting prescription sunglasses made to this but on reflection I think this must be nonsense. I will however do some tests; one can display different snow images on a PC easily enough.

What does matter is that if sunglasses are way too dark, the snow texture will be harder to see on dull days, so I think one needs two pairs of sunglasses (or goggle lenses if using goggles).

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 23 Dec 2018 21:34

Peter Holt: You seem a bit technically knowlegeable, Peter but as a practical duffer I know that in dark conditions I can see better with my light yellow lens goggles than I can without them. They enhance the contrast.

And I think my glasses are level 3 but the goggles are 2 and the swap gives immediate benefit.

• Peter Holt
    Peter Holt
    Posted: 23 Dec 2018 22:08

Interesting. Maybe there is another reason why it works.

I might try some clip-on yellow plastic then. What is Level 2 or 3? Is it the tint, with 3 more tinted than 2?

• Charles Pritchard
    Charles Pritchard
    Posted: 24 Dec 2018 09:13

Peter Holt: yes it is. Some would say I should have darker tint for full sun but there comes a limit to what I can carry, combined with my already ample propensity for faffing, so just the 2 is my answer.

Light-reactive lenses might be more versatile but I prefer not to be goggled up all day so wear mainly sunglasses yet must have goggle protection in blizzard or low light.

• Bruce Levitt
    Bruce Levitt
    Posted: 12 Jan 2019 00:37
    Some goggles are sold with two interchangeable lenses - one for sun and one for cloudy days.

Before you can add your comments, you'll need to log in to skiclub.co.uk.

If you're already a Ski Club member or signed up with skiclub.co.uk, log in to join the discussion.